Monday, May 19, 2014

The Day It Began !! first published on April 7, 2014

WoW, Almost As Large As The Castle

As A Person With Type 2 Diabetes – I Learned To Control My Disease with Cycling, Diet & Living With A Positive Attitude - Here Is The Beginning -

December (2012) my wife, Kathy decided to look into our Life Insurance Policies.
At that time I said “No Problem”, even with the Insurance Medical check-up, yea I was a little Overweight, I have been overweight most of my life, so I thought “No Problem”.

Well, On January 17, 2013 It Was A Problem. Waiting over a month, finally the medical check-up results came in; "Insurance Declined!"

What! How and Why?

You see, the results showed that I was Diabetic, with an A1C of 12.7!
First Thought, Not Me! They made a mistake, I went into “DENIAL!
Kathy thought it would be a good idea to make a doctor’s appointment immediately, but I couldn’t see our doctors of choice for at least 2-4 months.
Again,  asking Kathy,  with her being nurse; what should I do?
Her Recommendation was to go to the ER, were they will bring my glucose numbers down, and I’ll get to see a doctor, -or-
You can try to control it with diet and exercise until the doctor’s appointment.
Well you guess it,     I decided to start that very day, dieting and exercising!
I weighed 275-+, was eating “white” and “Rye” bread, Pizza and Pasta Almost every day!
I Thought; “I’m 61 years old,   How am I going to do this?
I went on the internet and visited WebMD and American Diabetes Association’s website for information.  Started with a Very Low Carb Diet and exercised Daily. I was starting to exercise with my wife, which at the age of 60 had just started running ½ marathons, so I had good partners, with her and my friend, “Will Power”.
The Biggest Mode of Exercising for me was cycling along my wife running.  After a couple of weeks began to lose weight steadily, feeling much better, also finding more and more energy.
Around March 8, 2013 and after going to the doctors, he ordered new blood work, that indeed proved I was Diabetic! There’s however a Silver Lining;  My A1C went down to 7.8; which was done by diet and exercising. I lost over 35 pounds and feeling great!
As of July 2013, I Lost 90 pounds (180lbs) and A1C was 5.8 (better than Kathy’s) with the Help of Diet, Exercise and Metformin.
After Researching hundreds of Websites dealing with Diabetes, I Noticed There Is A Lot of Information out there to confuse the average person. I decided to SPREAD INFORMATION to others on What Makes It Work For Me, Not in Latin or Medical Terminology, but in Plain English Language!

One of the BIGGEST MISCONCEPTION“It’s Just Sugar” !

No, It’s more than that, it’s the 7th largest killer, it’s a disease that affects every major organ in one’s body if not treated and control. Don’t believe it, just ask me. I am happy to share my DAILY ROUTINE, THINGS That WORK for ME and COMPLICATIONS I suffer.
I Do It,   NOT for ANYONE to FEEL SORRY ,
I Do It,  So Hopefully You Can Prevent This Dreaded Disease  from affecting You and Yours.
Yes, it is a battle daily, but I am going to win this battle with medication, diet, exercising, and with continuing SUPPORT of My Facebook Friends and Family, I am not a quitter!


Changing “My” Diabetes


One Day At A Time!
WoW, What Can I Say……. Except; What A Trip I Been On!!!
Never Back Down !!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment